There are many ways to listen to audiobooks for free, and this doesn’t mean doing anything illegal or choosing from some archive of old musty audiobooks (although there are many classics worth your time!!). In this guide, we’ll show you where you can legally find and listen to popular audiobooks for free.
Free Popular Audiobooks
1. Free Audiobooks from Your Public Library
All over the world, local libraries offer millions of audiobooks. You can borrow them — for free, instantly — with a library card and an app such as Libby.
Libby is available for Android, iOS, Windows 10, some Chromebooks, and in your browser at libbyapp.com. The following video is a helpful guide to getting started with Libby:
Note: even though audiobooks are digital files, libraries treat them like any other book, stocking limited “copies” and allowing only one person to check out each copy at any given time. So, depending on the size of your library, how popular a title is, and how many audiobooks are stocked, you may see really long wait times.
In the case that Libby is not available from your library or with your type of device, you may wish to try the following alternatives:
2. Free Audiobook Trials from Online Retailers
Many online audiobook retailers offer some sort of free trial for their service which will allow you to listen to a popular audiobook of your choice.
Below are some of the largest retailers with such offers (note: you may need a credit card to sign up for the trials and incentives are subject to change):
- Audible (free 30-day trial includes 1 free audiobook plus select Audible Originals)
- Audiobooks.com (get 3 audiobooks with a 30-day free trial)
- Estories (get 2 audiobooks with a 2-month free trial)
- Kobo Audiobooks (free 30-day trial includes 1 free audiobook)
- Libro.fm (get your first month for free, includes 1 free audiobook)
- Scribd (free 30-day trial includes access to an unlimited number of audiobooks, restrictions on some titles may apply)
Looking for more free audiobook options? We’ve also written about free audiobooks here: