I’ve been an Audible member since 2008. Lately, I’ve been accumulating credits in my Audible account so I decided to start exploring my Audible account options. This guide covers what I discovered and includes step-by-step instructions for how to cancel your Audible account plus other options such as how to pause your Audible account or switch your Audible plan.
- How to Cancel Audible Membership
- How to Pause Audible Membership
How to Cancel Audible Membership
Instructions to Cancel Audible Membership
To cancel your Audible membership, follow these instructions:
1. Go to the Account Details page on the Audible desktop site.
2. Click Cancel membership at the bottom of the “View membership details” section.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and steps. Before you cancel, Audible will make sure you don’t leave anything on the table and try to resolve any issues you have. We cover some of these items in more detail below.
4. After you cancel, an automated email will be sent to you as proof of your plan changes.
Things to Consider Before You Cancel Audible
Before you cancel your subscription, Audible will try to understand why and offer some recommendations, deals, and assistance to keep you as a customer. These include:
Do you still have any remaining credits?
You’ll want to use these because after you cancel you will lose access to your member benefits and all credits at the end of your final billing period. Helpfully, Audible will remind you if you have unused credits:
Exchange Audible Books
Did you know that Audible has a satisfaction guarantee?
This guarantee means if you didn’t love one of your listens, you can exchange it for another. We’ve put together the following guide to help with this: How to Return or Exchange Audible Audiobooks. Audible will also notify you of this before you finish canceling:
Switch Your Audible Plan
Have you considered switching your Audible membership to a different plan?
Available plans include the Silver Monthly, Gold Monthly, Platinum Monthly, Gold Annual, and Platinum Annual. The Audible Silver Plan is notable because it is the cheapest monthly plan and is not advertised; it offers 1 credit every other month:
Audible Cancellation Special Offers
Why are you canceling your Audible membership? Audible will you to take a minute to answer this question:
Depending on your answer, you may receive an offer from Audible such as the following Audible annual plan deal:
Contacting Customer Care
Are you wanting to cancel Audible because of unresolved issues e.g. technical problems?
If so, Audible asks you to contact Audible Customer Service to see if they can help. I’ve always found interactions with this team to be positive to don’t hesitate to do this. There are also multiple contact options – chat, phone, and email – which is nice.
How to Pause Audible Membership
Instructions to Pause Audible Membership
One last option is to pause your Audible membership.
Perhaps, like me, you’ve been accumulating credits. Whatever the reason, Audible members with monthly plans can pause their account one time every 12 months. That pause can be anywhere between one to three months. For memberships started prior to 2006 and plans that don’t earn credits — this feature is not available.
To pause your Audible membership, you need to contact Audible Customer Service. As mentioned above, contact options include chat, phone, and email.
Recently, I paused my Audible membership by contacting customer service via chat and the process took no longer than 5 minutes. When done, Audible sent me the below confirmation email:
Things to Consider Before You Pause Audible
As per the above email, when pausing your Audible membership you should be aware of the following:
- While on pause you won’t be billed for your membership and you can still use your remaining credits. However, you will not have access to the Audible Plus Catalog until your membership resumes.
- You will still be able to listen to the titles you added to your library with credits, and purchase individual titles at Audible.com without membership. Your username and password will stay the same.
- You can change your mind about pausing and resume membership anytime you would like.
Are you looking for an Audible alternative? We recommend reading: 5 Great Alternatives to Audible.